Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reading Log and Reading Goals

Reading Goals:

  • Read every Jane Austen novel.
  • Read in 5 different coffee shops.
  • Read one non-fiction novel.
  • Go on a “reading picnic” with a group of friends.

This week I read the last part of the Hunger Games, and honestly it was hard to tear myself away. I found myself going to the point of planning my schedule around it.  I would strategically plan “homework breaks” while studying or get my classes a few minutes earlier just to read the next few pages.  I told myself I needed to hurry and finish the book since the movie’s release date is fast approaching, but honestly, I was just addicted.  It was simply that good.

While talking to my cousin about the book, he pointed out an eye-opening factor by saying, “The Hunger Games has a corrupt government because, let’s be honest, every good novel has one.”  Initially I disagreed with his suggestion, but once I processed it more in depth I realized he was right.  Of course a corrupt government is not always needed, but many popular novels have them.  For example, Twilight has the Volturi, a very disturbing clan of ruling vampires.  Fahrenheit 451 has a government dedicated to the destruction of books.  The Giver has a bland world without music or color due to government regulation.  Although many are science fiction and placed in futuristic societies, the factor of a corrupt government has become a common occurrence.  However, the audience is not so much captured by the government themselves, but more the individuals that shake the chain of order and serenity by testing the government’s boundaries and breaking their rules.  Not only does this add an adrenaline rushing level of suspense and danger, but it helps the character’s develop and usually discover who they truly are and what they believe in.  Through the tool of a corrupted government, individuals in this book break the current of popular, acceptable society and choose to follow their own uncharted path leading down the path of self-discovery and individuality.  The confidence, boldness, sacrifice, and strength of these characters is inspiring and causes the reader to desire firmly grounded beliefs and the courage to stand up for them.  All around the focus on finding oneself and breaking away from the status quo has become popular as the focus of individuality rises in our culture.  

      This type of writing really appeals to me because I want to be a person that is strong enough to stand up for what I believe in no matter what opposition I may face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment