Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Shameless Leap Onto the Bandwagon

I always talk about how I tend to stray from popular culture and read the classics; however, this week I started reading the Hunger Games.  Honestly, I couldn’t resist.  I had to understand the source of the constant hype that spreads like a fever eagerly pouncing on its next victim.  Who can blame me?  The opportunity presented itself and I accepted it with little knowledge of what I was getting myself into.  And so it began and the fever overtook another reader.


Although the book takes place in what I believe to be the future of a post-apocalyptic North America, it maintains a rustic elegance.  The use of hand tools like bows, arrows, knives, and more keeps an ancient feel about it.  At the same time, there are some items used that the audience is familiar with such as trains, showers, elevators, and television.  Even with both these antique and modern elements, the future plays a major role with the use of so many unusual items such as hovercrafts and an assortment of mutated plants and animals as well as scientifically advanced tools used for warfare.  The fascinating combination of past, present, and future puts an intriguing spin on reality and allows a valuable connection as well as extreme suspension of disbelief.  They all work together in an ineffable harmony that helps the flow of the plot.  The book combines what should be estranged, yet it meshes with a curious grace.  If the creativity and mastermind put into the meticulous details of the book isn’t enough to catch the audience’s attention, the heart-stopping plot will blow them away.  I won’t go into detail for fear of spoiling the book.  If you are considering reading it, I highly recommend it.  


It is everything I thought it would be, and so much more than I had expected.  I didn’t realize how addicted I was to the book until my eyes were practically glued to it as precious homework time slipped away.  As quiet and sneaky as a snake, the story crept into my mind and captured my fascination; without even realizing it, I was hooked.  It’s worth reading.   

No comments:

Post a Comment